Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Brrrr it's cold and I'm still painting






Well to update anyone who is reading this I finished the playroom today. I will try to post pictures of the room later on tonight. I love love love it! Such a happy room. I can have sunshine even on a cloudy day.
I thought I would also share one of my favorite sites http://www.hwlongfellow.org/ I hope this link works. For some reason I'm not that good at copying and pasting links. It's a link to a sight about Longfellow, my favorite poet. I really like his lyrical writing style. Does anyone one know why it is called lyrical? Well let me tell you what I recently learned. The Greeks wrote their poetry to be sung to the lyre thus it was called lyrical poetry. To determine if poetry is lyrical it should have a set meter based on a set number of syllables per line. In other words, the poem has a pattern that you can recognize and usually rhymes. My husband's Uncle Bliss wrote lyrical poetry. I will try from time to time post some of his work. I really like the fact that most of his poetry was based on historical happenings and places here where I live.
The poem below was written by Longfellow and in my opinion is the perfect poem for January.

Woods in Winter

When winter winds are piercing chill,
And through the hawthorn blows the gale,
With solemn feet I tread the hill,
That overbrows the lonely vale.

O'er the bare upland, and away
Through the long reach of desert woods,
The embracing sunbeams chastely play,
And gladden these deep solitudes.

Where, twisted round the barren oak,
The summer vine in beauty clung,
And summer winds the stillness broke,
The crystal icicle is hung.

Where, from their frozen urns, mute springs
Pour out the river's gradual tide,
Shrilly the skater's iron rings,
And voices fill the woodland side.

Alas! how changed from the fair scene,
When birds sang out their mellow lay,
And winds were soft, and woods were green,
And the song ceased not with the day!

But still wild music is abroad,
Pale, desert woods! within your crowd;
And gathering winds, in hoarse accord,
Amid the vocal reeds pipe loud.

Chill airs and wintry winds! my ear
Has grown familiar with your song;
I hear it in the opening year,
I listen, and it cheers me long.

God Bless,
Timeless Trinkets

No comments: