Monday, February 2, 2009

Afternooon In February


Well it's February, almost half way through winter. Today it is sunny with a chance of snow showers this afternoon. I have almost taken control of my laundry. If I get a chance I will take a picture and post later on this week.
The necklace to the right is one I made using a tinted antique button from the late 1800's. It is a snowflake and reminds me of the month of February because it is wintery and purple.
I thought I would post a poem about February by Longfellow, my favorite poet. I know it's a little dismal, but it paints February very accurately-the dead of winter. I'm not sure if there is a hidden meaning behind this poem, to me it seems pretty straightforward.

Afternoon in February

The day is ending,
The night is descending;
The marsh is frozen,
The river dead.

Through clouds like ashes
The red sun flashes
On village windows
That glimmer red.

The snow recommences;
The buried fences
Mark no longer
The road o'er the plain;

While through the meadows,
Like fearful shadows,
Slowly passes
A funeral train.

The bell is pealing,
And every feeling
Within me responds
To the dismal knell;

Shadows are trailing,
My heart is bewailing
And tolling within
Like a funeral bell.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I really, really like that neckalce! Its so pretty and elegant! Love it!

The poem was well written, he's a good poet. It reads so smoothly. That's the kind of poetry I like reading.