Saturday, November 15, 2008

Lo how a Rose e'er Blooming


Today it is raining. It is suppose to snow, maybe just a dusting tonight. I am getting ready for my daughter birthday celebration today and last night as we came home from the grocery store she noticed a single white rose blooming in our neighbors yard. The sight of that single rose reminded me of the hymn, Lo ere a rose is blooming, one of my favorite hymns. I love roses ( white and yellow being my favorites) and they are one of the few flowers that will bloom in a mild winter. I have included the lyrics below in English as well as German. The symbolism of Christ as the rose is exquisite and the allusion to the prophecy in Isaiah 11:10 helps to tie Advent and Christmas together.This hymn was sung in the Acad­e­my Award win­ning mo­vie Love Sto­ry (1971). In a few days I would like to get a couple of versions up so that you can listen to the music. I'm not very good with this technical stuff and my daughter will be helping me get together a play list. I also thought I would include a picture of a necklace that I designed and recently sold.- Have a blessed day!

Lo, how a rose e'er blooming
From tender stem hath sprung!
Of Jesse's lineage coming,
As men of old have sung.
It came, a flow'ret bright,
Amid the cold of winter,
When half-spent was the night.

Isaiah 'twas foretold it,
The rose I have in mind,
With Mary we behold it.
The Virgin mother kind.
To show God's love aright
She bore to them a Savior,
When half-spent was the night.

__________

Es ist ein Ros'

Es ist ein Ros' entsprungen
Aus einer Wurzel zart.
Wie uns die Alten sungen,
Aus Jesse kam die Art
Und hat ein Bl�mlein bracht,
Mitten im kalten Winter,
Wohl zu der halben Nacht.

Das R�slein das ich meine,
Davon Jesaias sagt:
Maria ist's, die Reine,
Die uns das Bl�mlein bracht:
Aus Gottes ewigem Rat
Hat sie ein Kindlein g'boren
Bleibend ein reine Magd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyuOIYCERc4

No comments: